I've been part of a book club for the last 4 years. It has been SO GOOD for me!! I love it! I love that once a month I get to spend a night with friends (kids-free) discussing books and talking about any and everything besides children's body functions. Book club is very rejuvenating for me and reminds me I'm also an individual. I love that it introduces me to books I might not have otherwise read. And the more I read, the more I want to read. Jeremy says I'm addicted. Not quite. I don't neglect responsibilities to read... well, maybe ONCE in a while. But I do love it.
Right now I'm reading (not for book club) "She Got Up Off the Couch" by Haven Kimmel. One night last week while reading it I was laughing so hard I was crying. How can you not love books like that? :) This author also wrote "A Girl Named Zippy" which we did read for book club and I loved that too. Some of the books I really like just because of how much they make me think or the strong emotions they are able to generate, not necessarily because I agree with them or like the characters, as in "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother."
So... if anyone is interested in some reading suggestions, here's a list of books we've read in the last 4 years. (I've read almost all of them. Stars are ones I really liked.)
Persuasion
**These Is My Words
*The Good Earth
Seven Sons & Seven Daughters
The House of Mirth
North and South
Little Women
False Witness
The Last Lecture
The Sugar Camp Quilt
Modoc: The True Story of the Greatest Elephant that ever Lived
Peace Like a River
The Pillars of the Earth (didn't finish - do not read this; it is crass and foul)
**A Girl Named Zippy
Life of Pi
The Marvelous Journey of Edward Tulane
Eat, Pray, Love
The Host
Queen of the Big Time
**The Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Eragon
The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
*The Book Thief
*The Giver
Gods and Kings
The Glass Castle
**The Help
The Thirteenth Tale
*The Forgotten Garden
Shanghai Girls
The Luxe
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
*Last Dance at Jitterbug Lounge
Matched
*The Invisible Wall: A Love Story that Broke Barriers
*Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
Tell me some good books you've read. I'm always looking for new ones. :)
10 years ago
4 comments:
Oh how I love getting caught up on your blog. It makes me miss you. LOVE the Idaho pics. What a fun place for kids! Your sister looks just like you. So proud of Isis for swimming. That is exactly when Ava figured it out! Last, but not least, I read through all of your books and we are pretty similar in which books deserve stars. :) Hopefully I'll make it in for book club in September. I'm just about to finish the book.
I just finished "Matched" by Ally Condie. It's the first in a trilogy, and in the words of a good friend, "It's what Twilight ought to have been." It's clean, interesting, and she has real relationships, not just lusty ones.
Born to Run by Christopher McDougall - it's facinating, and it makes me enjoy the time I have on the treadmill.
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell - another interesting one.
I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones I've got on my desk right now ... at least, the ones I'd recommend!
I loved, loved, loved Eat Pray Love and The Last Lecture. I can't believe they didn't get a star on your list!! Or maybe the ones that did get a star are even that much more awesome, and I should run out right now and read them?
This list is just what I needed. Thank you!! Also, Jeremy is awesome. So is your sister. That's the best way to live and a pretty good indicator that you are awesome, too.
Post a Comment