I have sufficiently cried over this so now I can write about it. (Though I'm still bothered by it so this will probably be long.)
On Tuesday I took Isis to the doctor. I could tell it was a busy day in the office. Both waiting rooms were packed. We were there 20 minutes early and waited an hour to be seen. Her doctor, because he was rushed, was a little rougher than usual in his routine check. Naturally that was a little upsetting to Isis but she was okay when it was over. He was in and out in 5 minutes. He requested a glucose check to make sure nothing else was causing the infection.
Before the nurse came in I told Isis what was going to happen. I don't think it's fair to surprise kids like that. She was definitely paying attention because she responded "poke finger, sleep!" (Sleeping Beauty... smart girl) and got teary-eyed. The nurse came in with his tray and she started crying. I took off her shoe and sock and among the kicking he got her toe cleaned and pricked. Now it actually hurt so Isis was really trying to pull away. I hugged her and held her leg as best I could while the nurse tried to get the blood onto his test stick. He managed to scoop some off and roughly tried to put on the band-aid. Looking at the little monitor he grumbled and sighed heavily. "It didn't work?" I asked the obvious. "No. I have to go get new stuff, " he replied obviously annoyed.
He left and I held and soothed Isis. When he came back Isis stared crying immediately. He rips off the band-aid and for the next 3 to 5 minutes proceeds in a very rough and forceful manner to squeeze her toe to coax new blood out. It would barely seep out and he'd wipe it off with a cotton swab. He did that three or four times. (WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THAT BLOOD???) He then commenced squeezing the heck out of her toe which is now extremely sore. And then he has the nerve to say in great agitation to my hysterical daughter, "If you'd just hold still this would go faster!" EXCUSE ME??? She is TWO and you are hurting her! Are you not working in a pediatric office?? I, the non-medical professional, said, "It looks like the blood has clotted. I think you need to stick her again and be done." Another gruff sigh, "Yeah, I do." And he left.
Now I was crying with my sobbing daughter as we rocked back and forth.
When he came back this time Isis went ballistic and was climbing all over me to try to get away and screaming. At this point there was no way she was going to be calmed or soothed. I said, "This needs to be quick." He rolled his eyes as I took off her other shoe. Somehow I held her just long enough to get the sample. I rocked her as I told her, "It's all done. It's over. You're okay."
Then the nurse tried putting a band-aid on the new prick. Isis could take no more. She screamed and jerked as violently as before. In frustration he shouted, "IT'S JUST A BAND-AID!"
That was beyond the last straw. Through my tears I shot back, "Give it to me! You are DONE." Judging by the way he tried to flick it off he would have thrown it at me had it not been stuck to his glove. I ripped it off his glove. He sat and watched as I tried to put it on but she wouldn't even let me do it. He gave a frustrated sigh again and I told him to go. I dabbed her toe with a Kleenex as she clutched the band-aid in her hand. Isis' entire body seemed to be convulsing; every limb and muscle was shaking. She was literally in shock. I was SO mad and very upset. Both of us just sat there rocking and crying for a bit. When I had calmed down and Isis was nearly asleep we left. No, I didn't say anything on the way out. I was too upset and distraught. (I have since found out this nurse's name and written a letter. I still can't get in touch with anyone by phone.)
I cried about this traumatic ordeal the entire day. I couldn't protect or soothe my baby. I didn't have the presence of mind at the time to use more forceful language (like, what are you doing? get the h--- away from my child; don't touch her again; are you an idiot? get me another nurse now; you need to leave, etc.). I didn't insist on a different nurse, and I didn't ask to speak to someone about this right away. That bothers me.
Even if you're tired or have had a hard day (it was only 11 am), the attitude and behavior of that nurse is absolutely unacceptable. Even being the mom, if his behavior and treatment upset me, an adult who knew what he was actually doing, how traumatic was it for my tender two year old? That treatment isn't tolerable for my or any other child. This was the worst experience I've ever had with medical "professionals."
Is this typical and have I previously been lucky? I hope no one else or their child has been or will be so poorly treated.
10 years ago
8 comments:
oh honey i am SO sorry! i can't believe the insensitivity shown to you by those people! are you thinking about changing doctor offices? i probably would...but that is just me. poor sweet isis (and her poor sweet mommy) i just can't believe that happened!
Oh, how maddening! Rachel, I'm so sorry. Poor cute, sweet little Isis. I'm so annoyed at that nurse. Not that he deserves that title. It's nice of you to try to be so understanding about their busy morning, but you're absolutely right, that was no excuse whatsoever!
It made me cry, too, thinking of poor Isis going through something like that. Don't blame yourself at all for not telling the nurse where to go sooner. We all have it so ingrained in our heads to let doctors and nurses do ... whatever it is they're doing, sometimes we forget we are allowed to speak up when their behavior is unacceptable. (I've been there, too.) I would agree that, if you don't get one amazing appology, you might look into changing offices, and sending another letter to inform them of your decision.
Oh Rachel, I'm so sorry it happened to you and Isis!
Oh gosh, that is TERRIBLE!! I would have been so upset, and completely unable to vocalize it at the drs office. It sounds like you did the right thing anyway. We've had similar problems with not getting blood, but the nurse was almost crying with my baby. What a jerk. I hope this doesn't ruin her future drs appts. Poor baby.
I agree - this is a super unfortunate occurrence! If you don't seriously love your doctor, I think you should switch. When I am trying to establish care with my doctors (pediatricians, dentists, family doctors) I think it's very important that I LOVE the staff as well as the doctor. You rely on the doctor for very little, especially in a pediatrician's office, unless of course something serious is wrong. It's the staff, the nurses, the receptionist, who you really have to love. Are they patient? Are they kind? Are they efficient? It sounds like you guys had a terrible experience. There are just so many doctors out there...you really don't have to be stuck with one you don't love.
Sorry Rachel! I'm hoping he was just a medical assistant or tech and not a nurse, but regardless shouldn't have been acting that way.
This story got the mama bear in me roaring. I'm so sorry. Who to contact: office manager. I also think you should find a new doctor. Impatience is ridiculous in a pediatric office, and unnecessary child pain should get empathy from staff.
My sister's highly recommended pediatrician is Dr. Hodapp. Hopefully this wasn't his office. She really likes him and he was recommended by other hospital nurses.
I want to call the office for you! What a punk!! (I'd use other words, but I'll refrain.) If you haven't been able to speak to someone in the office, it sure says something about them... all of them. I wish I knew of some good Dr.'s on your side of town. I'd try and recommend someone.
Post a Comment