Initially I said Elise was a quiet baby. I'd like to take that back. She is a good baby but NOT quiet. If something doesn't suit her, even for a moment, she'll let you know. Jeremy and I are finding it interesting to note the differences between a preemie and a full-term baby... like the developed lung capacity. She also eats a lot and very frequently. Which is good; it means she's healthy and growing. It's just tiring for me, I can't do anything, and Isis is left with a boring playmate. (There will be a post about nursing in the future I'm sure. I have too much to say about it right now.)
I think Elise came with a happy temperament though. Happy and very observant. When she's awake she's AWAKE; always watching and looking around with her beautiful little eyes. You can tell she's really studying your face when she's looking at you. She has a happy, peaceful countenance. It's really calming to watch her. She is also very strong. Again maybe that's a full-term baby thing, but wow. She was picking her head up off my chest in the hospital before she was a full day old. I was impressed. And I think she smiles. I know they say it's just gas, but gas smiles don't reach up to their eyes, and her eyes smile.
I have constantly said that I'm not a "newborn mom." And while I still definitely like being able to interact with my baby as they get older, Elise has given me a new appreciation for this newborn stage. With Isis everything was so new and different and hard. I was sad I quit working; I was lonely; I was tired; I was overwhelmed. This time I guess I just knew (mostly) what to expect. I think I'm even more exhausted this time but Isis keeps me from being lonely or bored. I'm appreciating more how little and perfect my baby is. I am grateful for a gentler, happier perspective.
4 comments:
Aw, I love that picture. What a sweet baby. I'm glad her lungs work. Personalities are so interesting. And I'm (excited?) to hear about nursing. What a horrid experience that is . . .. :)
When I was in that first postpartum period, another girl in my ward had her fourth baby. When someone asked her mom how she was doing, her mom said, "Oh, she's just enjoying having a baby again!" Everyone smiled and nodded like they understood, but I was dumbfounded. How do you ENJOY a baby? I had such a hard time with my first, and it was incomprehensible to me.
Then I had my second, and while I didn't exactly enjoy it, it was much easier, I was much more relaxed...
Now, for the first time in my life I find myself baby hungry, and I can imagine "enjoying" a baby.
I'm glad you're doing well, and I have to admit, a part of me is also excited to hear what you have to say about nursing ...
I love that picture. It's beautiful!!
It's good that Isis is keeping you company. :)
I find these days are going by so quickly. I just want to hold my baby and feel how little he is so I can remember for when he is bigger. It is fun to have a little one around again, even though those first few weeks are exhausting.
I can't wait to meet her in person and see some more pictures!
So good to see your face...even if it's in a post ;) Hope you're finding your groove being the mom of two. I'm still finding a new groove each day. We've got to get together soon!!
Post a Comment